Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Joseph B. Wirthlin

I read in the news that Elder Jospeh B. Wirthlin passed away last night at 11:30. He was 91 years old.

Only recently had I begun to appreciate his wonderful talks. Probably because I was too immature to understand them. His last talk really struck a chord with me. It was titled "Come What May and Love it"
Here is an excerpt:
"The first thing we can do is learn to laugh. Have you ever seen an angry driver who, when someone else makes a mistake, reacts as though that person has insulted his honor, his family, his dog, and his ancestors all the way back to Adam? Or have you had an encounter with an overhanging cupboard door left open at the wrong place and the wrong time which has been cursed, condemned, and avenged by a sore-headed victim?
There is an antidote for times such as these: learn to laugh.
I remember loading up our children in a station wagon and driving to Los Angeles. There were at least nine of us in the car, and we would invariably get lost. Instead of getting angry, we laughed. Every time we made a wrong turn, we laughed harder.
Getting lost was not an unusual occurrence for us. Once while heading south to Cedar City, Utah, we took a wrong turn and didn’t realize it until two hours later when we saw the “Welcome to Nevada” signs. We didn’t get angry. We laughed, and as a result, anger and resentment rarely resulted. Our laughter created cherished memories for us.
I remember when one of our daughters went on a blind date. She was all dressed up and waiting for her date to arrive when the doorbell rang. In walked a man who seemed a little old, but she tried to be polite. She introduced him to me and my wife and the other children; then she put on her coat and went out the door. We watched as she got into the car, but the car didn’t move. Eventually our daughter got out of the car and, red faced, ran back into the house. The man that she thought was her blind date had actually come to pick up another of our daughters who had agreed to be a babysitter for him and his wife.
We all had a good laugh over that. In fact, we couldn’t stop laughing. Later, when our daughter’s real blind date showed up, I couldn’t come out to meet him because I was still in the kitchen laughing. Now I realize that our daughter could have felt humiliated and embarrassed. But she laughed with us, and as a result, we still laugh about it today.
The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."

This reminded me of my family and how we could laugh at many things. I have so many wonderful memories of my family. I often look back and long for those childhood days. (here i am talking like I am 80) I really do think that my family was able to find the brighter side sometimes. Things that may have been embarressing at the time are now nostalgic and treasured memories.

well I should go now but I wanted to comment about this great Apostle and how much his last talk touched me.
I hope that you will remeber him too.

1 comment:

Halley Amor said...

Hey! I was just reading that talk about a month ago and I loved it too. I am going to adopt the title as one of my Phrases to live by. Anyway, I loved it too.